The Information Retrieval Specialist Group (IRSG) of the BCS invites proposals for the organisation of one day events supported by BCS. Proposals will be evaluated based on the organisational and financial plans and benefits to the Information Retrieval community.
* Submission deadline for this round: 19-May-2023
* Notification: 02-Jun-2023
Topics should be related to the theory and practice of information retrieval and interaction, such as:
* Topical issues in IR practice, e.g. trust, bias, and fairness
* Interdisciplinary topics, e.g IR and information science, data science, or user experience
* The use (and abuse) of large language models and other AI techniques
* Domain-specific or professional issues, e.g. in eCommerce, media, recruitment, library and information science, healthcare information, etc.
* Innovative approaches used in operational IR systems and products
This is also the address to use if you have any queries or comments,,
The template for the proposal is set out below
- Title of the event
- Chairs and organisers
- Contact information
- A description of the event topic and its goals
- A statement on how the event complements or relates to other IR events
- Proposed venue
- Desired format, including preferred dates and duration, onsite or hybrid
- Outline of the program (including talks, breaks, and any social events)
- Potential (or accepted) speakers
- Publicity plans
- Funding plans and preliminary budget
Organisers of accepted events are expected to announce the event and call for speakers, solicit speakers, compose the program, and organise the event. Evaluation criteria include topic significance and timeliness, scientific quality, proposed organisation, level of interest, and synergy with other events. Accepted events will be supported up to £1,000 and are expected to have a credible financial plan and budget. We anticipate holding further funding rounds in due course.
ABOUT THE IRSG