Wednesday 16th November, Covent Garden, London
Innovations in Web & Enterprise Search
Search Solutions is a special one-day event dedicated to the latest innovations
in web & enterprise search. In contrast to other major industry events,
Search Solutions aims to be highly interactive, with attendance strictly limited.
The programme includes presentations, panels and keynote talks by influential
industry leaders on novel and emerging applications in search and information retrieval.
NOTE: Search Solutions now offers a Tutorial Programme on Tuesday 15th November.
09:30 - 10:00 Registration and coffee
SESSION 1: THE CHANGING FACE OF SEARCH
- 10:00 - 10:10 Introduction
- 10:10 - 10:35 John Tait, Principal, johntait.net Ltd,
Using Physical Quantities in Finding Similar Documents [ppt, 3Mb]
- 10:35 - 11:00 Lewis Crawford, Web Archiving Programme Technical Lead, British Library,
Analytics and Access to the UK Web Archive [ppt, 10Mb]
- 11:00 - 11:25 Toby Mostyn, CTO, Polecat,
Search for Public Conversations [ppt, 1Mb]
11:25 - 12:00 BREAK
SESSION 2: WEB SEARCH CHALLENGES
- 12:00 - 12:25 Ricardo Baeza-Yates, VP Research, Yahoo!,
Beyond the Ten Blue Links [pdf, 5Mb]
- 12:25 - 12:50 Gabriella Kazai, Research Consultant, Microsoft Research Cambridge, Crowdsourcing Search Relevance
12:50 - 14:00 LUNCH
SESSION 3: ENTERPRISE SEARCH
- 14:00 - 14:25 Marianne Sweeney, Principal, Daedalus Information Systems,
Successful Enterprise Search by Design [ppt, 5Mb]
- 14:25 - 14:50 Matt Taylor, General Manager, Funnelback,
Search Experience Management - Techniques for Search Success [ppt, 1Mb]
- 14:50 - 15:15 Iain Fletcher, VP Marketing, Search Technologies,
A New Content Processing Framework for Search Applications [ppt, 3Mb]
15:15 - 15:45 BREAK
SESSION 4: BEYOND SEARCH: CONTENT ANALYSIS
- 15:45 - 16:10 Jarred McGinnis, Research Manager, Press Association,
The Press Association Approach to Search and News [ppt, 5Mb]
- 16:10 - 16:35 Ian Kegel, Technical Group Leader, British Telecom,
Broadband TV and Recommendation: Improving the customer experience [ppt, 4Mb]
- 16:35 - 17:00 Kristian Norling, Senior FIndability Consultant, Findwise,
Information Flow on the intranet at Region Västra Götaland [pdf, 3Mb]
- 17:00 - 17:30 Hot topics in search. Want to discuss your own hot topic?
Join in, it's a fishbowl session!
17:30 - 20:00 DRINKS RECEPTION
The event will also be followed by the
IRSG 2011 AGM (from 18:00).
Search Solutions is organised by the Information Retrieval Specialist
Group of the BCS and is held at the BCS
Central London Office:
BCS, 1st Floor
The Davidson Building
5 Southampton Street
London, WC2E 7HA Map
Registration fees (including VAT at 20%) are as follows:
Early Bird Rates (until 23:59 on 31-Oct-2011)
Normal Rates (from 01-Nov-2011)
- BCS member rate: £99
- Non-member rate: £129
- Student rate: £99
- BCS member rate: £119
- Non-member rate: £149
- Student rate: £99
Registration fees include lunch and a copy of the proceedings
Tea and coffee will also be available throughout the day followed by a drinks reception
in the evening.
For details of the tutorial programme and pricing, please refer to the
Search Solutions Tutorials page.
Please register via BCS Online Registration.
Please note there is no on-site registration
Closing Date for bookings is 23:59 on Monday 14-Nov-2011. Full refunds will be
issued if a cancellation is received by 12:00 on Monday 07-Nov-2011, name substitutions
will be allowed after this date. For overseas delegates who wish to attend the event
please note that BCS do not issue invitation letters.
Tony Russell-Rose, UXLabs
Udo Kruschwitz, University of Essex
Andy MacFarlane, City University London
Nilesh Thatte, Fujitsu Services
Jun Wang, University College London
For enquiries about the event please contact Tony Russell-Rose, IRSG Vice-Chair: irsg [at] bcs.org